Tuesday, April 8, 2008

10 m²


Seeing it is now April, we should soon be able to find out if we will get the tickets to the Olympic Games or not. I really, really, DESPERATELY hope that we will get them, seeing that we have already paid for them, and for our flight tickets. When it comes to accommodation, I am relying on my old Beijing friend, Panda (no, she's not a Panda, Panda is her name). Panda’s a star when it comes to finding budget alternatives.

I was thinking about Beijing the other day. About my favourite area around the Hou Hai lake (north of Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City) and about all the yummy foods u can eat over there. Yeah, I am a big fan of Beijing food. Compared to Shanghai’s sickening sweet seafood, Beijing dumplings and noodles is like a sent from heaven.

Yes. It's tiny.

Speaking of food, if you are heading over, for the Olympics or for some other occasion, don’t miss out on this yummy little joint: 10 m². It serves up the spiciest and most delicious vegetables you can think of! Think cucumber, eggplant and mushroom, spiced up to its max and you’ll get an idea what I am talking about. Nothing for the faint hearted or for claustrophobic people (the space is –as the name implies- only 10m²) but definitely worth a visit if you want to trigger your taste buds.

Cucumber sticks

Wall of fame...

I left my taste opinion posted on the wall. (Gosh, I write like a 5-year-old...)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

See, that's strange, because I always thought Beijing food wasn't that unique or great. Yes, there's the infamous roast duck and jian bing, but compared to other northern cities, Beijing food seems lacking. It's like how I view NYC here in the United States - there are tons of good restaurants, but mostly the city is good at "imitation foods"; there are very view "inherently Beijing" flavors. You should try out food in Xi'An!

Jonna Wibelius said...

I guess it is a taste thing. I cannot stand sweet food, but I love spicy food, and especially Hunan or Sichian dishes. Beijing food is another favorite, I guess mainly coz I really dig the jiaozi and the noodles :) What do u eat in Xi'an and what's the typical taste like? I haven't made it there yet but it's definitely on my destination wish-list!

Anonymous said...

Sad to say, but I think you write better than I do! I lived in China till I was 12 too... >.<

Jonna Wibelius said...

pingu -what was it like growing up in China? Why and where did u move when u turned 12? Mind me, I'm a nosy person!

Anonymous said...

Your Chinese writing is fairly good.

Jonna Wibelius said...

nihao -thanks! You're the first one to say that. 我的老师们都觉得我的汉子写得真的不好看!哈哈!