Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Yet another food post




One of the things that I probably miss the most about China is the food. Not only is it tasty and spicy (at least when I am in charge of the ordering), but also, it’s cheap! I’ve tried to minimize my ‘eating out’ experiences over here, simply because it’s too expensive, and after all.. food is food. You can cook great things in your kitchen so why go out and pay loads to have someone else do it for you? (well, that can be nice too but when it costs like over here –a simple thai dish is something like 200 yuan at a proper restaurant, and a starter like tom yum soup goes for 100 yuan- it feels a bit overwhelming…. Or, maybe it’s just me who’s become food-stingy?!). I have to say that both friends and family have reacted about how much importance I put on food. I was the girl who used to skip lunch and munch on an apple if I felt like it. Nowadays, that lunch hour is holy.

To my great surprise more than one friend over here have been completely into the whole ‘let’s order a bunch of dishes and share.’ Me like! Sure, we cannot order as freely as I am used to doing in China, but, it’s nice that people are more open to the whole ‘eating together and sharing your food’ than before. When I came home from China 2 years ago and suggested the same thing I was met with suspicion. Still… cannot help missing Chinese food. Yuuuuum. Oh well, some salmon salads will have to do until then.








7 comments:

Carl said...

Those are some very colorful entres, Jonna. Makes me hungry just looking at them. I hope you enjoy the food you cannot get in China while you are away (native to wherever you find yourself in your travels). I think it will help make you enjoy the Chinese dishes even more when you get back to China. Have fun!

Jonna Wibelius said...

Carl -they make me hungry too... and I just had breakfast... haha! Yeah, I bet I will be in a happy bliss once I get back to China... At least about the food! :)

scribbling sassy said...

wow. now I'm looking forward to my lunch hour! I'm starving after seeing all those yummy food! I sure do understand why you miss Chinese cuisine!

TG said...

Hahaha... just when you came to Europe, you wrote like tons of post about it. Now you miss China, hehe.

Well, Asia in general keeps the food prices low. Food is cheap, because it's the most important thing that brings people together. I like that. While in Europe eating out became a luxury. So we just don't enjoy life in a same way. We stay inside and cook for ourselves. Bummer.
Food and people make Asia so rich, while we want to be rich in terms of money and houses and cars... But we have less and less children. This century the West will fall behind Asia, if we continue like this.

Martin said...

Jonna...quit posting all these pics of food!!! I am getting hungry, and I won't be in China until September! Not nice. hehe

Aileen said...

How I miss the cheap food in China... It is ridiculous how expensive it is to eat out there =(

Brad Farless said...

The idea of ordering food and sharing the dishes was a bit weird to me when I first got to Asia. Now it just seems normal. I didn't even realize the shift until I read what you wrote. Even some members of my family might think it was weird to do that at a restaurant.