Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Tiger Leaping Gorge trek




Photos from my last trip to Yunnan when I visited Kunming, Yuxi, Yani, Eshan, Ben Pei, Daxi and some other tiny little mountain villages that I've forgotten the name of. This trip will be very different.

Like I mentioned some months ago, as soon as I get back to China in the end of August (I cannot wait!! 2 months away are too long!) me and my dear mom are going to unpack our suitcases and start packing our bag packs, and head to Yunnan. I’m so excited about this trip! Not only am I going to experience the beautiful Yunnan (a different part of where I have been before) but I’ve also heard that the weather is rather beautiful at that time in Yunnan.

We have around 5 days down there, not enough, I know, but better than nothing still! Right now we are thinking about flying to Kunming, taking a bus to Dali and then from there go to Lijiang and especially the Tiger Leaping Gorge (before we eventually fly home from Lijiang). I think the TLG is the thing I’m the most excited about. Both mom and I are sporty spices (at least we like to think of ourselves like that) and are keen to trek the gorge. However, one tiny little concerned has appeared, as mom is a bit scared of heights… how “bad” is the TLG? Height wise I mean? I have read that it is one of the world’s deepest canyons, so I assume that it’s quite deep, but while trekking it, do you have to walk really close to the edge? Also, I’ve read that there are 2 different roads: the high road and the low road. The high road is apparently the one that the local population (the Naxi people) use so I assume that’s the better one. Which one have you guys chosen?

Other things I’ll be doing in Yunnan includes taking hundreds of photos and eating some of those great potatoes that someone once recommended me to try. Oh, and enjoy the blue sky of course. And talk to locals. Or at least try to talk to them. God knows at what sort of level my Chinese will be at that point.

6 comments:

Diederik said...

So far I found the Tiger leaping Gorge one of my highlights of China so far/ So be exited!!

It's not really a choice whether you do the high trail or the low trail, cause the low trail is asfalt, and is just for cars and busses who bring you back to the bus you need to take to Lijiang, or Shangri-la (Zhongdian). As I remember the High trail shouldn't be too scary for people scared of higths. There's another part though down to the river (where you need to pay some extra for), which will probably be quite scary for her, since it has ladders and indeed some clifss. Personnaly I found that part the best, but you can easily skip it, cause it's just a bonus:)

Oh and stay at the halfway point! They have a beautifull terrace on top of the hostel, and it's a great place to relax after a day hiking with a beautifull scenery.


On a side note, I found Lijiang a horrible place to be... Far too many Chinese tourists and every building looked faked.. I liked Dali a lot better. Also a lot of tourists, but it felt a lot more authentic.

Jonna Wibelius said...

Diederik -thanks so much for sharing!!! My mom will be so happy to read that it's not too bad :) Thanks again. Can't wait to do this trek, and we'll definitely follow your recommendation and stop at the halfway point.

Mano said...

Hello, nice blog. R u living in China as a tourist? Is there freedom to move around,I mean go into rural areas of China?

Hang said...

I recommend you take the high trail to do trekking. Diederik is right. The low trail is for buses and cars. Nobody trek on the low trail. High trail is suitable for most people. It's easy. Don't worry.

TLG may be one of the deepest canyons. But you don't feel it that way when you are trekking on the high trail. However, you'll figure it out when you finish your high trail trekking and walk down to the low trail at Tina's (中峡旅店). Then, you may take a walk to the very bottom of the canyon. Your mother may wish to skip this part. Because this part is high and very steep.

BTW, Tina's (中峡旅店) also runs mini-buses to Lijiang old town. It's convenient!

Hang said...

I recommend you take the high trail to do trekking. Diederik is right. The low trail is for buses and cars. Nobody trek on the low trail. High trail is suitable for most people. It's easy. Don't worry.

TLG may be one of the deepest canyons. But you don't feel it that way when you are trekking on the high trail. However, you'll figure it out when you finish your high trail trekking and walk down to the low trail at Tina's (中峡旅店). Then, you may take a walk to the very bottom of the canyon. Your mother may wish to skip this part. Because this part is high and very steep.

Jonna Wibelius said...

Manoj -No, I'm not living there as a tourist, I've been both working and studying in China. I'd say that if you have a valid visa it is not hard to move around in China.

Hang -thanks! I'm so glad u guys cleared it out for me.