Friday, April 16, 2010

Raffles Design Institute's Graduate Fashion Show

One might think that Shanghai’s fashion fever is over, with Shanghai Fashion Week wrapping up with a big party at Muse on Tue night. But then I received an invitation to Raffles Design Institute's Graduate Fashion Show, and realized that the city’s fashion frenzy is probably never ending.

This show was obviously a lot different to Shanghai Fashion Week. I saw about 15 collections from graduate students, some good, some not so good, and some, simply odd. I was still impressed, seeing that they are only just graduating. I believe at least some of them have got promising futures ahead. It was Raffles' (a Singaporean school) 15th group of graduates. With a growing fashion interest amongst young locals, I believe we are to see much more from Shanghai designers in the future.

I leave you with some pictures of their collections. Which one do you like the best?


1. Wizard from OZ-style
2. Pom-pom
3. Bohemian
4. Sexy sumo
5. Tailored
7. Fantasy
8. Style mix


9. Suicidal 
10. Camel
11. Cookie color collection
12. From another Galaxy
13. Chess

7 comments:

Martin said...

WOW...those are some pretty interesting articles of clothing. If I had to pick my favourite, I would go with #5-tailored. 2nd would be Style Mix, and 3rd would be Bohemian.

Thanks for the updates from the Shanghai Fashion week.

Ricky Foo said...

Very interesting indeed... and seeing a SG company featured in Shanghai Fashion is great!

I have been following your blog for a while, and bcos of your Expo posts, I've decided to spend 2-days of my honeymoon in Shanghai. =) Do continue to post about the development in Expo.

Ricky

Carl said...

Hi Jonna! It must be fun to attend a fashion show and see all the creative designs. Here is my 'picks' from Highest Ranked to Lowest Ranked.

#12 Gets my best ranking, as I think they used the colors nicely along with trying some new and interesting cuts.
#8 Has some very nice use of textures and flow. Very nice.
#1 Very imaginative cuts, and certainly a fun theme.
#5 I would expect this 'styled' design to sell well for office professionals.
#4 Interesting use of added 'fluff', but too much on some.
#10 Very nice designs, but could use more color. I know that goes against the 'camel' theme, but just too drab. Cuts are nice tho.
#3 Nice layering.
#7 Good ideas, but very poorly cut. Needs work for better fitting.
#2 Nothing really exciting.
#13 Interesting, but not to my taste.
#11 Looks like little kids chose the color combos.
#9 Ugly! Look more like zombies in rags than anything else.

The one I actually like the best is the photo after the #8 group. Wish it showed more of the whole outfit, but looks sharp!

Anyway, that's probably a lot more than you ever wanted. LOL. Guess now I'm a fashion critic as well as a ceramics artist. ;) Thanks for sharing the photos. Was fun seeing them! :D

Crystal Tao said...

Not clear why the last one is called "Chess"... I didn't recognize any single chess piece ))

Jonna Wibelius said...

Martin -yeah there is. The tailored looks is my favorite too!

Jia-Ee -haha, that's great to hear. Book a hotel early because this city is filling up because of the expo. I promise there will be plenty of expo reports to come!

Carl -wow, u did a very detailed fashion report there. U like the Galaxy girls?! They were walking to "cosmic girl"... fitted very well!

Crystal -yup, some of the names made little sense!

ladiga said...

Thanx for the post, Baiba, Raffles lecturer:)

International Admissions Office said...

all our fashion design students in their final year are given opportunity to display their pieces through such platforms.