Friday, July 1, 2011

Time to pack up and leave


Finally, we have found a new crib! That only took us… some 2,5 months or something?! Our current lease expirers in just a few days, so we really left it for the last minute. During our flat hunt, I think we have seen more than 100 flats in at least 4 different district. In the end, we considered everything, and still, it was so hard to find something decent.

I’ve never before found it hard to find a flat in Shanghai –but this time it was a true struggle. My old real estate agent told me that it’s because house prices are rocketing and as a result, more people are renting. Not only does this lead to less available places, but also, rents going up. For instance, on our way to see one place in the French Consession, we met some old friends of mine, and while we discussed our flat hunt we realised that we were about to go and have a look at THEIR old place! They had left it some 2 months ago, leasing it for 5500 rmb. Now it was on the market for 8000. Crazy.

During our search we ended up using a bunch of different real estate agents. My old agent (who helped me find the place where we are staying now) got sick of us quite quickly as I refused to settle for some overpriced bulls** meanwhile he kept telling me that there wasn’t anything else out there. Now I am glad that I didn’t give in. The place that we are moving to is not exactly what we wanted, but pretty close. It’s located in Huangpu (or old Luwan, as the two districts have now merged), so for us it will be a completely new area to try, which I think is fun. We’ve been living in Xuhui/the French Concession for quite a while now (basically since we moved to China, minus a 6 month stunt in Pudong and 2 years in Suzhou) and I’m a bit tired of the whole “old lane house” style.

Now we just have to do the actual move too, and then life will be good (gosh, I hate moving?! Where does all this stuff come from?!). Last night when I couldn’t sleep because of all the noise outside our window, I couldn’t help but smiling. I seriously cannot wait to not having to sleep with double earplugs. One more night –and then we are out of here. Hallelujah!

7 comments:

flyingfish said...

felicitations!

Unknown said...

Tough looking for a decent place. You got stamina. Well done!

yan said...

8000 RMB?! A month?! That's crazy expensive. Your job must pay a lot! =)(reference previous post)

mantse said...

have a happy new life~~~ and new flat~~~

Chiwi said...

Agents' wage are counting on the rents, because new house sales are in downturn, agents have to raise the rental price to feed themselves, they even pursuade house holders to raise the price to the agents' expectations.

So if you can, using free trading website such as 58.com ganji.com will be a good alternative option, even though it means harder efforts by yourself will be required.

Chiwi said...

Renting house through an agent will mean over-pricing nowadays. The reason is the new house sales in major cities are in downturn and the agents have to make their livings mostly on renting market. So instead of trying peeps to find cheaper place they are more than willing to pursuade/enforce the landlords to raise the prices to agents' expectations, which is why the price seems rediclous at the agents. Try free trading sites such as 58.com ganji.com may be better deal.

Unknown said...

French Concession, My mother grew up there and as a child I heard wonderful stories. One day I would like to visit and would love to understand what you mean by sick of a certain style of home , do you refer to specific architecture that exists still! Im wondering about the feeling of different classes in Shanghai? Tell me more , thanks for interesting reading!