Saturday, September 19, 2009

Suzhou Museum 苏州博物馆


Spent a few hours at Suzhou museum this morning. Not bad! Actually above my expectations. Suzhou museum was designed by Chinese-American architect Ieoh Ming Pei, and I have to say it sported a truly fresh and modern interior. It is a museum of ancient Chinese art, ancient Chinese paintings, calligraphies, and hand-made crafts as well as some modern art. I personally enjoyed the art the most, which made me think that next time I go to Shanghai I have to go and visit the art district again, I haven’t been there since 2006.

Anyways, here’s a sneak peek from the museum:









Porcelain pillow -yikes!

Silk wadded dress, from the Yuan dynasty, 1271-1368. 
Veeeery old shoes... also from the Yuan dynasty, 1271-1368. 

3 comments:

Brad Farless said...

This reminds me of an exhibit I saw in the Museum of Natural History in NYC a few years ago. I like going to a big museum and (depending on the size) spend a day or an afternoon looking at the exhibits. Hm. I wouldn't mind seeing the Guggenheim again as well.

Regardless, glad to hear you're having fun and getting to see something new!

Jeanne-ming Brantingham said...

you are a great writer! What a hoot.
Love your taxi conversation about skipping lunch. I once suggested to my collegues in a factory in Guang Zhou that we work through lunch so we could catch an earlier ferry to Hong Kong. SHOCK HORROR....NO WAY. ARE YOU NUTS!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Just one clarification here: the architect of the museum is Chinese architect Qi Kang. One of the Suzhou Garden was the American Chinese architect IM Pei's family home