Thursday, September 2, 2010

"Typhoon" leaves Shanghai flooded


The last two weeks in Shanghai have been following a similar pattern. Sunny, warm mornings and rainy, thunder-stormy afternoon/nights. Yesterday a typhoon was said to pass by Shanghai, something that resulted in a lot of schools being closed. The wind, however, proved to be the smallest problem. The rain a bit more so. As you see from the photo and the video (that I took at Hengshan Lu), a lot of Shanghai’s central streets were flooded last night and of course it was impossible to get a cab. I came home soaked and tossed yet another pair of shoes into the pile “ruined by the rain shoes.” Let’s see what today’s gray sky has to offer. According to the weather forecast it’s going to rain for the next 5 days in the city, meanwhile the temperature will still stay above 30… mmmm…. Lovely. Not.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe what I'm seeing. I'm so happy you're back to blogging! Anyway, off to read. So happy.

Online RSA said...

The last typhoon we had ripped the roof right off our laundry room, scary stuff!

Jennifer said...

Ahhh, I can't believe it's taken me this long to realise you resumed blogging!

One Womans Life said...

Hi! It was great to find your blog! I deeply appreciate the insights. I hope you will take the time to answer a question that I have. Will I be able to continue with my own blog.spot blogs if I move to China? Will I be able to access North American content (eg Amazon or clothing stores- I take a larger size) from China? Can you recommend other sites or blogs that I can read to gain perspective?
Thanks in advance,Debra

Jonna Wibelius said...

anonymous -So glad to hear that! :)

RSA -What?!?! here in Shanghai?? no....?

Jennifer -Yeah, I haven't really advertised it. Although I'm still happy to see how many people that have found their way back here!

Debra -Blogspot is blocked as far as I know... But U can use a proxy server or a VPN to access it (VPN is better in my opinion). There are a lot of good deals, just google to see. I don't know about amazon. But if you take larger sizes than tiny Chi people (join our club!) I suggest you head to the fabric market and tailor-make some clothes. It's not only cheap, but loads of fun! IF there is no tailor market where u r going -u can find your own tailor, there are plenty of those around in China!

A good site to ask expat/new in town questions is www.shanghaiexpat.com I also read shanghaiist.com quite often.