Friday, October 9, 2009
Spur of the moment sign up
…was something I did before I went to Malaysia last week. I don’t know what got into me, because for the last 4-5 months, my running practicing has been going everything but great. But then I thought, “what the heck?! Who says that you need to have practiced for 6 months before a race? I have a few races under my belt, and I am sure this one won’t kill me either.” And with those words playing in my head I signed up for Hangzhou Half Marathon that will take place on November 8.
In between now and then I am going to Sweden for a wedding, so my training time is more or less limited. And the furthest I’ve run in the last 3 months is 8 km! But it doesn’t matter. I am not doing this to prove anything, more to just challenge myself and do something fun. Last year in Hangzhou I chickened out and only did the 14km race, claiming I wasn’t fit enough for the half marathon. This year, I’m probably NOT fit enough, but still, I’m going for the real thing (or OK, not the real, real thing, that would be the full marathon. But almost!). I know it is going to be a struggle and I know I am going to hate myself when I am standing there at the starting line, feeling everything but fit for fight. But, there’s a charm in that too, right? (if nothing else, at least once I hit the finish line). Also, I’m quite, ehum, or, OK, very stubborn. I believe I can do 60% of the race on fitness and the other 40% on pure will.
Hangzhou half marathon, here I come!
Anyone else running?!