Friday, March 19, 2010

Going to Hohhot!

Xilamuren Grassland -picture from visitourchina.com

Yeah, so like I said some days ago: I’m planning a long wknd in Inner Mongolia’s Hohhot! I seriously cannot wait to go –I love visiting new places. And the grasslands of Inner Mongolia is said to be beautiful! I’m obviously planning view them from the back of a horse, however, since my dear bf isn’t that into horseback riding I’ll probably have to do some serious convincing first. Another thing I’m looking forward to is eating Mongolian hotpot, and visiting the Great Mosque and the Dazhao temple. But I have four whole days -so what else should I do? Where should I go? What should I eat? What must be seen? What can be skipped? Please share your best Hohhot travel tips! I’m not going this wknd but later next month. Can’t wait!

7 comments:

Little Tiger said...

Haven't been yet unfortunately, but this song always gets me dreaming about the grasslands http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoNaU_JX6D8
Have fun and bring back lots of stories!

Unknown said...

Haven't been there, so I can't share. Inner Mongolia sounds a great adventure and bet you're ready for it. Hope you can get on the horseback and ride the plains! Eager to have news.

Beach Mama said...

Can't wait to read your posts from Hohhot! I have a friend traveling there in the future to adopt her daughter. Please post lots of photos!

Jonna Wibelius said...

oh... sounds like you guys are as excited as I am! Yeah, Hohhot isn't really the no 1 travel destination. When we checked the weather forecast it was around 10 degrees celsius at daytime and -16 at night?! What clothes do I bring for that kind of weather?! Promise to take a lot of photos though!

Nerissa said...

Oh, Inner Mongolia is such a nice place. At that time I was just a few months here in China so I couldn't remember the places we visited. Our tour guide barely spoke English.We went horseback riding and it was amazing. I haven't had horseback riding before so I thought it was scary but it was fun. There was a guide who helped me get around with my horse. We climbed a hill and our ride took us to a desert area and on the top we saw the vastness of the sandy area. We slept in a tent on a grassland.We had kayaking and lot of food adventures. At night on the first day, we gathered around the camp fire then the locals dressed in their traditional costumes danced around. Then we joined them singing and dancing as someone played the traditional instrument. We also went to a forest which was for sure filled with history, I just coulnd't understand. It was really fun. I am sure you will enjoy!

Phoenixkidd said...

Isn't there a huge drought going on? May not be so green. I guess Inner Mongolia is far from Actual Mongolia, where they had the worst Winter weather in decades, killing a million head of cattle and other livestock. Expect your beef prices to go up this summer in China.

Lotta said...

I have been in Inner Mongolia a couple of times and it feels like such a different world.. Last summer I had a nice run on the green hills -so much fun & beautiful sceneries :)

Though I've always been in the "northern"(?) IM (near Hailaer), so can't really say what it's like in Hohhot..

Have a nice trip! :)