Saturday, January 17, 2009

Photo special: the children of Daxi


When I asked you readers what you wanted more if in 2009 a lot of you said: 'photos.' So, I thought I could turn every Saturday into a 'photo special,' where I upload some photos from a special city/place/event that I've been to. How's that? Note: I am not professional photographer what so ever! I just... like to take photos, so don't expect anything fabulous. Just the normal, amateur shots from my years in China. 

Today's photos will be of children attending pre-school in the mountain village Daxi, in Yunnan. I visited this place in 2006 to follow the work of a volunteer organization operating in this area, called YID: Yunnan Institute of Development and I couldn't keep myself from going a bit  photo-crazy when I saw all the adorable children.

Some additional info about the YID: the YID is based in Yunnan Province's Yuxi Prefecture (although they operate in the poor mountain villages, like Daxi), and is a Sino-Danish non-governmental organization, non-formal adult education institute established in 2001. It aims to promote social development in China, Africa and India. Activities include educating people about health, hygiene and HIV, building schools and helping poor farmers with bio-gas and microfinance.

Teacher with a young pupil











Kids learning Mandarin (the people of Daxi belong to the Shansu minority group and have their own language) 

Adorable little girl (and a little boy who also wants to be in the picture behind her)

Singing...

..and dancing. Always important in China!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic photo essay! Thanks for sharing.

afritzse said...

Thanks! I especially like the Pinyin chart with the pictures.

Little Tiger said...

That organisation looks very interesting.
I look forward to more nice photos next Sat. !

Jonna Wibelius said...

Glad to hear u guys like the photos! :) Nice to have a break from writing during Saturdays and let the photos speak for themselves.

chicity said...

i did missionary work years ago up in the mountains in kunming. its unfortunate most of the children stop attending school at the age of 7 or 8 because their parents are unable to afford tuition. they learn 'tough' chores at an early age to help with the farm and tend the animals.

Diane Dehler said...

I adore children and the "Children of Daxi" are gorgeous. Good luck during your time in China and congrats on your blog of note thing. It's how I discovered you.

Southern Realtor said...

I appreciate the pics and look forward to seeing more. Thanks for posting them.