Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Controlled by the weather

"Yeah, sorry, I'm not going to to be able to meet you for dinner for the next, ehum, 4 months or so.."

Before I start this post I would just like to thank all of you that contributed with your advices and recommendations about sleep/insomnia in my previous post. Thank you!

Now, since I am having a bit of a rough week I thought I’d share a funny thing that happened last week.

Om Monday, I got a text from a Chinese friend that I haven’t seen for a long time:

"Dinner on Thu?"

"Sorry, I cannot make it," I texted back. "I have a busy week. How about Sunday?"

"OK," she texted.

Saturday came, and I had totally forgotten about it all until I got the following message:

"It’s going to rain tomorrow. Should we have dinner on Wed instead?"

"Eh… sure."

Talk about relying on the weather forecast. And talk about being controlled by what kind of weather it is owhen you plan your calendar.

I remember a friend of mine once told me about a girl that didn't turn up for her her job interview because it was too hot outside. She wasn't ashamed to tell the company when the secretary of the HR called her to ask why she never came for her interview.

I wonder what those kind of people do when the weather isn’t top notch? Lock themselves inside with a DVD and some popcorn? Order in? Never leave bed? Call in sick for work?

Well one thing is for sure: If you would let the weather control your social diary in a country like Sweden you would never be able to go out!

3 comments:

Shopgirl Shanghai said...

låt inte jobbet ta all din energi!!!!!!

kraaaam från sthlm

WoAi said...

Yes a very good observation. I've had dinners cancelled by girls "because it's raining" and friends tell me they're not coming out because it's too hot. Summer lasts about 3 months here. I'm wondering of they stay home for 3 months.

Joyce Lau said...

I don't think I've ever heard those weather excuses after 12 years here, unless there's a government typhoon warning or something. If Hong Kongers didn't go out when it's hot or raining, the whole city would shut down forever.

HKers complain endlessly about the weather -- but push comes to shove, they are also pretty stoic. People will bribe cabbies to take them to work in typhoons.

I remember once showing up for a horse-related event during the most horrible thunderstorm. And those dedicated riders stood outside for an hour waiting for it to clear up.

Totally personal observation: Hong Kongers tend to run late all the time, but they do show up. (I have a friend who seems to be perpetually an hour late for any meal). Meanwhile people from China tend to cancel more, and they are not ashamed of giving lots of excuses. God help me if this sounds sexist, but I find women to be the worse offenders.

One excuse I've heard from at least two mainland women (both related to work or school functions) was "I have my period."

Those are four words that should never, ever come out of the mouth of any professional woman!