Thursday, November 27, 2008

20 days to go...

Last Xmas

I've been a bit unfocused this week, due to various reasons, but one of them is the fact that Xmas is approaching... with speed!! I don't think I have ever been this excited about Xmas? I feel like one of those five year old that know she's going to get a My Little Pony Stable from Santa, times TEN! (And My Little Pony-loving-five-year-old are already quite fierce!?). The reason why I am so excited is, of course, because this year I am actually going to celebrate Xmas in Sweden. The last 2 Xmases (2007 and 2006) took place in Shanghai, and although we really tried to create some cosy Xmas atmosphere it simply didn't happen... well, mainly because Xmas isn't something that is celebrated in China. Sure, Starbucks, along with some shopping malls, are playing Xmas carols and serving cinnamon/toffee nut lattes, and sure, there are some Xmas lights here and there on the street, but overall I would say that there is absolutely no, none, zero, niente Xmas atmosphere in Shanghai during December. It just feels like the same, commercial city as always. Thank LORD I am going home this year!

I guess I should point out that I wasn't that much of a 'Xmas person' before I moved to China. I used to regard Xmas as an evil sort of spending-money-frenzy and I wasn't that much of a Xmas food fan. But take 2 Xmases in China, where there is no atmosphere at all, and you'll feel like you're born again, only this time, you love everything that has with Xmas to do, including all the gingerbread cookies, the mulled wine, the snow on the ground (although the snow on the ground u quickly start hating once u have to go outside and walk in it), the meatballs, the unlimited amount of chocolate (a standard in my chocolate-loving-family), and the Xmas tree. I feel like a walking cliche for even admitting to like all this but I cannot help it. This is what Xmas in Shanghai can do to you. I'm not sure if I should be grateful or not?

I'm heading to Scandoland on Dec 18 (back in China again on Dec 28 -although Xmas sort of sucks in Shanghai I wouldn't miss New Years in Shanghai for the world!! It rocks!), and I really have to control myself not to start crossing over the days in my calenders.
Ps. For all of those who wants to escape Xmas, Xmas shopping and stuff, I would say China is a pretty good destination!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! I am so happy for you! Make sure you eat plenty of chocolate and gingerbread.

I'm teaching my students Christmas carols as soon as Advent begins. (I'm not exactly a devout Christian, but my seven-year-old students are, as they were converted by their evangelical former English teacher.) So far I've decided on "The Friendly Beasts," "Do You See What I See?" and "Adeste, Fideles" (my students are very keen Latinists) but I am wondering what others to try. If you think of any, please let me know, OK?

God Jul! (Is that right?)

Jonna Wibelius said...

God jul is absolutely correct! :) When it comes to Christmas carols I am not that talented unfortunately....

Mark's Blog said...

Wish you have a nice Christmas at home!

Anonymous said...

hey jonna

är du i shanghai den 13 dec? Det är en lördag, försök att åka in till Shanghai då, jag ska nämnligen hålla min födelsedagsfest då och det skulle vara jättekul om du kunde komma :)

några andra bloggare kommer även att närvara så det vore ju grymt om du också kunde vara med :)

Anonymous said...

I am actually surprised at the amount of Xmas there IS here in China. Granted it is mostly Starbucks, but my local grocery store is now decorated and playing carols too. When I was in Henan the other week there was a gigantic lights display!

While I agree that avoiding Xmas is probably easier to do in China then most other places around the world, it isn't completely avoidable.

Jonna Wibelius said...

shopgirl -ska absolut försöka ta mig dit!