Getting a Chinese massage over here is like a weekly must-do, as it (most of the time) is quite good, and also, cheap! A few interesting side notes I have noticed about Chinese massages however are:
1. Why to girls always get a male massurs and guys always get a girl?
2. How the cheap '68 kuai/hour' easily snowballs into 108 if you want to buy all those extra things that they offer you. Just the other week in Dalian our 1.5 hour massage cost 88 kuai, although during the massage, we were offered some additional:
-massage clothes (looked like a white PJ), 10 kuai.
-Some special back rub 20 kuai
-bath salt in our foot bath water, 10 kuai.
We turned everything down and were looked at as we were cheap bastards. Sure, maybe we were but come on. 10 kuai for some white, paper PJ? I don't think so!
3. Why are massage benches always too short for me? (the last 3 times my feet have been sticking out, to every one's amusement)
4. Why do guys always want to massage your belly?! During my last massage I tried to act all grown up and held my breath for what felt like eternity, until I simply couldn't take it anymore and exploded in a laugh-attack (which turned out to be contagious -soon my masseur was laughing as much too). Come on!! It's the most ticklish spot, no matter how much u try and 'relax'.
5. Why do so many Chinese people that go to a massage spend the whole 1.5 hour on their cellphone? Why, or why, why why?!?!??!? I wish cellphones were BANNED at massage places/spas. I was so annoyed last time and when I listened in on the conversation, I wasn't one bit impressed. A guy, one the phone with what must have been his girlfriend:
"Oh, is it boring to watch TV... well why don't you watch a DVD. Come on, there are many good DVDs... yes there are. Or TV programs. Well OK... just turn the TV off then. and what did you eat today... oh... only that.... oh... how boring. Oh.... oh.... oh..................."
And so it went on for 1 + hour.... Bloody hell!?
Except for those little 'details' I think massages over here are greeeeeeeat! Although stick to those cheap ones. More expensive doesn't mean 'better' at least not in my opinion.