Tuesday, July 22, 2008

How to avoid having your bags checked in the Shanghai metro

The power of Hanky Panky

Annoyed with all those guards standing in the metro wanting to check your bag? (as part of stepping up security before the Olympic Games?). Well, I have found a perfect way to avoid them. When they stop you, and direct you to the guy who wants to peek into your bag, you simply tell him:


-My bag's full of my underwear -are you sure u want to take a look?


This has to be said in Chinese, and I swear, if it is a guy he'll let you go without as much as opening your bag. The younger the guy the better. He might even apologize!

10 comments:

Rambler said...

Hah hah. Do you think it would work as well if the person with the bag is a guy? Possibly better?

Jonna Wibelius said...

Possibly better, yes! It would be great if some guy could try and report back... Woai maybe?! *hint, hint* C'on lads!

Anonymous said...

hmmm you think it will work!?
im not sure...

Jonna Wibelius said...

Shopgirl -it worked for me! And for a girlfriend of mine. The guy was so embarrassed he could barely look me in the eye.

Anonymous said...

what if the checking person herself is a woman...

Jonna Wibelius said...

Yeah true.. That didn't occur to me. Well, so far, all the bag checkers that have stopped me have been men so it worked on them.

Anonymous said...

I think this works only if you are a Western female. If you are Chinese or look Chinese, I doubt it will work. Sounds cynical but it's true.

Jonna Wibelius said...

Hotpoter -yup, that is probably true. Well, worth a try at least?

Anonymous said...

interesting idea...
but I'd rather people not look at me in a funny way after that... ;-)

Anonymous said...

This post was picked up and mentioned in the China Daily today:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2008-07/25/content_6875774.htm

This guy seems to surf the net and pick 2 or 3 blogs to feature each Friday.